Sympathomimetic; a short acting synthetic beta 2 adreno-receptor stimulant that causes relaxation of bronchial smooth muscle (bronchodilation).
- Relaxation of bronchial smooth muscle
Duration of Action
- Peak effect within 1-2 hours
- Total duration of action 3-6 hours.
Other Drug Interactions
- Concomitant therapy with other sympathomimetic amines will cause excessive sympathetic stimulation (tremor, tachycardia).
- Beta-blockers antagonise the effects of B2-agonists and may precipitate asthma, so they are contraindicated.
- Hypokalaemia resulting from B2-agonists therapy may be potentiated by xanthine derivatives, steroids or diuretics; potassium levels should be monitored.
- Antidepressant drugs may potentiate cardiovascular effects.